Sunday 11 February 2018

Am I allowed to laugh at this…?

I have always had an odd sense of humour. The terrible (sometimes inappropriate, sometimes sweary) humour that has become second nature to me can offend even the most solid of personalities.

When I was diagnosed with MS I assumed my sense of humour would stop. Completely. What was the point in joking anymore? The hand I had been dealt was frankly [insert expletive here]. After my adjustment to my diagnosis, my sense of humour did not fade away. If anything it became stronger (for better or worse). I don’t consider my humour a coping mechanism as such, but more like a place where I can vent through macabre – and sometimes self-deprecating – one liners.

I remember a while ago my Dad expressed how proud of me he was to take the diagnosis, and all things associated with it, in my stride. I was very touched by this, more than I can say. I think my sense of humour helped. I have always been one to crack wise at the silliest things, and my MS has become an extension of this; an extension of my comedic material.

To me this is not denial, but a way to let others know I am OK with my MS (most of the time), and the implications of it. Please ask me questions! The more the merrier! I am not going to bite anyone’s head off because they don’t know what MS is (I certainly didn’t before I was diagnosed). As I’ve said before, spreading the word is really important to me, and if I can make you laugh about that time I spilled drink everywhere because I couldn’t hold onto the glass properly, please laugh! And don’t you dare feel guilty about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment